There is nothing more annoying than a sound problem in a call – Both of the people talking and neither one being able to hear it. Right now, our lives are based on these calls. We take formal and informal calls. Keep reading to know how to fix mic sensitivity on windows 10.
The microphone of the laptop or computer is the most important tool in this regard. These types of issues happen because of either a problematic internet connection or low microphone sensitivity. Since you are here, it’s clear your internet connection is fine.
We all want good audio quality. There are many reasons for this issue – improperly coordinated microphone setting, problems in the hardware. You will need to find the root cause of the problem. If the sound comes off distorted, then it is either a microphone or port issue.
Again, if the sound is low or the volume continuously switches between high and low, then there is something wrong with the adjustment of the sensitivity. The operating system of Windows 10 is not designed to diminish the background noise. So, it is a common problem in Windows 10. But it stands as an important issue considering work calls, exams, content producing works (video, podcast, recordings). In this article, we are going to find out how we can fix the mic sensitivity issue in Windows 10.
There is a volume setting tab at the right bottom corner of the taskbar. Click on there and check the microphone before changing the sensitivity of the microphone. Now, let’s out how to change microphone settings –
- Click on the start menu. Then go to the control panel and type in ‘’Sound’’ there.
- Then press the Sound Settings under the control panel tab. You will see a volume icon with sound written. Click on it. This usually depends on your computer’s theme.
- It will lead to a window named Microphone Properties. Go to ‘recordings’ there.
- Double click on your microphone to open the window. The window will open with five tabs which you will have to navigate to levels. Or you can right-click the sound icon in the lower right corner. Then click on ‘Open Sound Settings’.
- Select Input in the windows that will open. Then select your microphone device from the drop-down menu. Choose a headphone microphone if you use a headphone.
Then go to device properties and click on ‘Additional Device Properties’. This will lead to the properties of microphones. Navigate the ‘levels’. By default setting, the microphone level will be at 50 percent which is +6.1 dB. You will increase or decrease it as per your need.
After you have made the necessary adjustment, click on Apply. You can call someone to test the new configurations. If it’s okay, then alright! If you are still not satisfied, then go to the level tab and change the Microphone Boost. It will improve the microphone sensitivity by up to +30 dB.
Check the Driver in Windows 10
If the problem is still there, then you might want to check the driver. The signs of the driver-related problem are broken sound, low volume, or no sound. To fix the diver problem, click Windows Key and R together.
It will lead to a dialogue box. Type MCS. Or you can type Device Manager on the Start menu. Collapse the Sound, Video, and Game Control drop-don. Then update the Sound Driver. From there, find a microphone for you. Click the Drivers Update button. If you can’t locate your mic then –
- Search under Unknown Devices.
- Right-click in the unknown device.
- Then update the driver.
You have to install the driver. You can do it manually or automatically. If the driver is already downloaded, then click the manual button. If it is downloaded, click on Check for Drivers on the internet. Windows will locate and update it automatically.
You can also troubleshoot the audio problems. For troubleshooting –
- Right-click on the Windows icon. You will find it in the left corner of the Taskbar.
- Select ‘Settings’ from there. After that, click on ‘Update and Security. You will find the ‘Troubleshoot’ option at the left-side panel.
- If you can’t find the troubleshoot option in the display, then click on ‘Additional Troubleshooter’.
- Click on ‘Playing Audio’ and then select ‘Run the troubleshooter’. You can do it similarly if the troubleshooting options are in the last window of your system. The troubleshooter will check if there are any issues with the audio system. They will fix if there are any issues.
The sound problems can also occur because of the hardware. This may occur if there is any loose headphone jack, microphone distortion. You can clean the mic using a blow-drier.
The drier will blow the dust particles out (if there are any). The microphones in the Laptop are between the front, sides, or next to the panel hinges. In case you don’t know, you can check the internet or the Laptop’s handbook to find out. if your mic is having problems, check the article.
We have discussed all the possible issues along with the solution. You can read the article and fix your own. We hope the article was helpful. We are going to end the article by giving you some tips about mics for clear audio –
- There are mics with noise-canceling features. You can buy those for clear audio. This would be perfect if you create content like videos, podcasts, etc.
- You can go for the air filters. They truly minimize the background sounds.
- Do not use mics that have a USB connection. Rather go for mics that have a 3.5mm jack. The USB connection affects the audio quality.
- During recording, make sure you are standing in a distance rather than too close to the mic. The distance is important. But it is different in different mics and people. Make sure to check it.
You can also read: How to Use Headset Mic on PC with One Jack