Do you buy a separate microphone every time you buy a computer or laptop? Have you been cursing the companies for not having a built-in microphone in the computer? Well, you will be surprised that some computers do have microphones! You might ask, “Does my computer have a microphone?”
We think you might have one but couldn’t discover it yet. That’s why, we are to show you methods to check out built-in microphones in your computer. There are almost similar yet different ways to determine whether your computer has a microphone in it for Windows OS and Mac OS. Read out this article below and see how to navigate through those options.
You can also read: How to Record Audio on Chromebook?
Checking for Built-in Microphone in Your Computer
To answer your question “Does my computer have a microphone?”, we will mention the ways you can take a deep look at your computer. We will describe methods for both Mac OS and Windows OS so that either of the users don’t miss out.
So, without further ado, let’s get started!
MAC Operating System
Follow the steps below to check whether your Mac computer or laptop has a built-in microphone:
- The first thing you have to do is navigate to the Apple icon and click on it. You will find it on the top of your computer / laptop screen.
- Then, right-click on System Preferences.
- Among various icon, you will see an icon that looks like a microphone. The labelling is Sound. Click on it and navigate to the Input tab.
- Now, in the Input tab, you might see “Internal Microphone” written inside the Sound Input box. This means your Mac computer / laptop has a built-in microphone. If you don’t see such labeling, then your computer doesn’t have one.
Windows Operating System
Here are the guidelines on how to determine whether your windows computer or laptop has a built-in microphone:
- At first, search for the Control Panel at the bottom left search icon. Well, you can also use a shortcut. Simply press the window key and the “S” key together. The Control Panel will be right in front of you!
- Now, click on the Hardware and Sound section.
- Then, you should hit the Sound icon and switch to the Recording tab.
- You will find a microphone icon named Microphone Array. Perhaps, the name can be different based on the version of OS but it will be similar to this. It will confirm you that your computer / laptop has a built-in microphone. Speak near your device and you will see the audio levels on the right are rising. This will affirm you that the microphone is working.
Though you might see differences in the labelling Internal Microphone / Microphone Array in your device, they all mean the same. The distinguishing names occur depending on the version you are using. And yes, it is applicable for both Mac OS and Windows OS.
Are You Finding Those Methods Difficult?
Are you having troubles following the mentioned methods above? If so, then we are extremely sorry for the inconvenience. However, we have other easy alternative methods to guide you. We hope this time we’ll be able to answer your question – “Does my computer have a microphone?”
Let’s start with Mac computers and laptops:
Mac Operating System
Mac computer / laptop users, you should look for the microphone on the left side. You will find the microphone within the left speaker grid if your laptop is 15 inches in size. However, for 13 inches laptop users, check for the microphone on the top left of the bottom portion of your laptop. If you find some tiny hole there, especially above the escape key, then you can be assured that your laptop has a built-in microphone.
Well, don’t take these positions for granted as different models can feature different placements of microphones. You can use the Apple website for locating the specific details.
Windows Operating System
In Windows operated laptops or computers, you might find tiny holes on the top of your laptop. If you get lucky, sometimes you might find small stickers with an image indicating the microphone. You can also look for the guidebook of the company’s different model specifications. They are usually uploaded on their website.
What if My Computer Doesn’t Have a Microphone?
So, we have shown you the ways you can discover a built-in microphone in your computer / laptop. We have discussed for both of the popular operating systems – Windows and Mac. However, have you ever thought, what if there isn’t any microphone in the computer you are using?
Well, there’s nothing to worry about really. You can always purchase an external microphone that is compatible with your operating system. In fact, many users prefer using external microphones than built-in ones as they provide better performance. If you don’t want to buy a single microphone, you can always use headphones as cheaper alternatives. A headphone microphone works just as fine as microphone and provides much quality than the built-in ones.
However, you must always remember to purchase a microphone or headphone that is compatible with the operating system you use. Apple headphones will most likely not support in Windows operating system and vice versa. Though is not the case all the time. You might come across some really good microphones and headphones which are both compatible with Mac OS and Windows OS.
As we have come to the end of this article, we hope we met your curiosity about the question – “Does my computer have a microphone?” We tried to explain all the methods for both Windows and Mac operating systems so that you can dictate the built-in microphone in any computer / laptop you are using. So, do the testing and see if your computer has a microphone!